I nternational Women’s Day is a worldwide event that celebrates women’s achievements – from the political to the social – while calling for gender equality. It has been observed since the early 1900s and is now recognized each year on March 8. The day is marked around the world with arts performances, talks, rallies, networking events, conferences and marches.
But how did it begin – and what are women uniting against?
Brief history of International day of women.
- The Socialist Party of America organized the first National Women’s Day in New York in 1909 to commemorate the 1908 strike of the International Ladies’ Garment Workers’ Union. The 1911 Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire was a tragic example of how bad women in the industry had it.
- In 1910, National Women’s Day became International Women’s Day at the second International Conference of Working Women in Copenhagen.
- According to the UN Women’s Watch, Russian women have International Women’s Day to thank for a very important right. Demonstrations in 1917 by women demanding “bread and peace” sparked other strikes and protests, which led to the abdication of Czar Nicholas II four days later and granted women the right to vote.
- In 1977, the United Nations invited member states to celebrate it on March 8
- Since 2001, the holiday has had a sponsored website and an annual theme. This year’s theme, #PressforProgress focus on gender parity
How we should celebrate it?
First of all, we should start from ourselves. Real change can be done if we change just small things on our daily routine. Ask yourself what you can do more or ask your wife, girlfriend, mothers or sister. Believe us small thing can make huge differences. We ask our colleagues what they would like to get in this special day and here is their answer:
- Tell her that you appreciate all her hard work and that she’s beautiful. A flower and chocolate can make my day too
- If my boss will treat me with respect
- My husband clears dishes and take children to school
- Just simple kiss and hug will make me really happy
- Go to cinema and see some lovely romantic movie
- Buy me a teddy bears for hugging him
Take them as an inspiration how to celebrate this special days and remember that our women are most precious thing in the world. How do you celebrate your International date of women??? Share with us your plans for this special date on our Facebook page 😉